To celebrate community and inspire hope through my life & actions while having as much fun as possible.
I grew up in in Kimberley, BC Canada. It was in this rural mountain town where my love and appreciation for the great outdoors was born. I learned how to ski at the age of 13, and I joined the local freestyle club when I was 15. It became clear to me that sliding around on snow and flying through the air was how I wanted to live my life. Being a skier gave me an outlet to express my creativity.
I spent several years pursuing my dream to be an Olympian. That goal was forced into retirement due to financial constraints; I then redirected my energy into coaching. It was while I was coaching that I sustained a spinal cord injury, leaving me paralyzed from the waist down. Life as I knew it no longer existed.
It’s hard to digest the gravity of such profound change; even to this day. Experiencing such a powerful personal transformation opened me to some beautiful realizations about life, love and how deeply connected we are on so many levels. I am eternally grateful for the people in my life that teach, encourage and inspire me to life a life of purpose and service. Life is a gift and it’s meant to be shared.
A Brief Timeline
Born and raised in Kimberley, BC
Graduated high school
BC Freestyle Ski Team (winter months)
Lived, worked and played in Dawson City, Yukon (summer months)
Coached a generation of aspiring ski superstars
- March 8 of 2004
Had an accident, which left me paralyzed from the waist down
A year filled with wonder and curiosity as I explored the world from my new perspective
First year ski racing
A celebration of love with m’lady
Professional skier + inspired storyteller + truth seeker = my life
- The FUTURE
Freeride, racing, films & philanthropy
- Overcoming Adversity
Through my life and actions I want to show and inspire others to break down barriers and create freedom from their own disabilities. I am learning that we all have disabilities on many levels of human experience, including emotional, spiritual, and physical. I am finding that my story and the constant pursuit of adventure inspires people to achieve goals they could not imagine — to break barriers, find freedom — and push the limits of their own personal abilities. I’m passionate about inspiring others to see the opportunity to make change and I want to use my personal story to impact people from all walks of life. I have found that being able to share my story, and show my journey is inspiring and helps people take that next step into hope. Hope is such a powerful tool in change.
To schedule a presentation please contact – Cathy Hirst at Speakers Spotlight
- Vancouver 2010 Paralympics - Silver Medal in Slalom.
- World Championships, Korea 2009 - Gold Medal in Downhill.
- X Games, Aspen 2011 - Gold Medal in Mono Skier X.
- X Games, Aspen 2012 - Bronze Medal in Mono Skier X.
- World Cup, Panorama 2012 - Gold Medal in Super G.
- World Cup, Whistler 2009 - Gold Medal in Downhill.
- Forerunning World Cup Moguls, Blackcomb 1999.
- Dual moguls vs. Jean Luc Brassard, 2001 Canadian Championships | View Link.
- Canadian Series, Apex 2001 - Gold Medal in Moguls.
- Canadian Para Alpine Champion x 8.
- Hanging with my girl .
- Olympic Torch Relay (February 2010).
- 1st sit skier to do a backflip (February 2012) | View Link.
- Representing Canada @ 2010 Paralympics.
- Ellen Degeneres (February 2012) | View Link.
- Filming ‘Freedom Chair’ with Switchback Entertainment | View Link.
- Rick Hansen 25th Anniversary Celebration.
Places to Visit
- The Kootenay's.
- Vancouver + islands(s).
- St. John's (Nfld).
- New York City.
- Dawson City.
- Autobiography of a Yogi - Paramahansa Yogananda.
- The way of the peaceful warrior ~ by Dan Millman.
- Oh, the places you’ll go ~ by Dr. Suess.
- The Lost Teaching of Atlantis ~ by Jon Penial.
- The art of racing in the rain ~ by Garth Stein.
- The Sacred Balance ~ by Dr. David Suzuki.
- Eddie Would Go ~ Stuart Coleman.
- The Wealthy Barber ~ David Chilton.
- Tipping Point ~ Malcom Gladwell.
- Lord of the Rings ~ J.R.R Tolkien.
- Sushi Village ~ Whistler | View Link.
- Mas Farmhouse ~ New York | View Link.
- Bao Bei Brasserie~ Vancouver | View Link.
- Calabash Bistro ~ Vancouver | View Link.
- Miku Sushi ~ Vancouver | View Link.
- Vij’s ~ Vancouver | View Link.
- Theo’s ~ Penticton | View Link.
- Pho Fusion ~ Vernon | View Link.
- Alta Bistro ~ Whistler | View Link.
- Mile 1 ~ Pemberton | View Link.
A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. - Mahatma Gandhi